What's in a phone? A few years ago, the most important aspect of your phone was its functionality. All the uses of a phone had been condensed to the most basic communication and media exchange package. However, phone makers stepped up. Phones became status symbols. These days, a person is judged by the brand of his mobile phone, and by extension, the case that holds it together.
In the world of high-fashion accessories, silicone and faux leather will not cut it (not anymore), so the market is looking into genuine exotic leather. But, which exotic leather should you use for your electronics accessory cases? Lizard skin is one incredibly versatile skin for phone and other electronics accessory cases.
Why Use Lizard Skin?
Lizard leather is smoother, and it does not crack during sewing. It stays in excellent shape all through the item’s life. Lizard skin has been used in a variety of stylish products, ranging from purses to watch bands, belts and shoes. You will also find wallets, laptop, and tablet covers made from the same material.
- Versatility and Easy Manipulation. Unlike most of the exotic options, lizard skin is quite thin. With a thickness of between 0.4 and 0.6 mm, it is flexible and easy to manipulate—especially when making leather items with tricky edges. Seeing as there are no calcium deposits on the skin, you will not need heavy tools to cut into it before sewing or tons of bleaching agents to align the colors with what the market wants.
- Attractive Colors. A while ago, consumers only chose neutral colors for their phone cases. Well, times have changed, and the upwardly mobile user wants a satchel that matches their personality. Lizard skin comes in a medley of beautiful colors that will go well with a style icon looking to stand out. That includes black, gray, and earthy colors, too.
- Size And Variety. When most people think of "lizards," they tend to picture very small reptiles. However, some of the species targeted for their leather, such as Teju, grow up to 1.23m in length. You can imagine all the accessories that can be made from a material of this magnitude. Add its versatility, and you will come up with fashionable satchels as well as belts.
Variety comes from the different species of lizards we have all over the world. Teju lizard, ring lizard, and Nile lizard all have consistently small scales that enlarge around the belly area. Their colors differ, and so they will individually be used for both small and large cases for phones, tablets and even laptops.
The World’s Lizard Species
Products made from lizard skin may look the same to the untrained eye, but a closer look will disclose distinct scale patterns. The diverse species will bear their unique scale structures.
- Teju Lizard. Teju lizards come from some parts of South Africa, as well as Argentina. An adult male Teju will grow up to 4.5 feet long and weigh up to 7kgs depending on the region. Most exotic leather dealers favor them due to the consistency of their scales. The scale pattern is continually small along the body, and it will only change in the belly area.
- Nile Lizard. You will find this variety in South Sudan, Africa. The scales are even smaller than those of Teju, but they are uniform all through the body—which minimizes the preparation work needed for sewing.
- Ring Lizard. This species gets its name from the pattern of its scale. They are small and round, making the skin unique and still as flexible as the rest. These Indonesian lizards are colorful, and so their skin makes equally attractive products.
Getting The Right Cut
Grade and Size
Exotic leather quality is classified by different grades. Grade I is a flawless hide, while each successive grade (2, 3, etc.) will have more flaws that you need to work around. For small products like electronics accessories, grades 2 and 3 make the most sense since you can cut around the defects. Typically, skin sizes from the three species (Teju, Nile, and Ring) will range between 25 and 35 centimeters, and these sizes work perfectly for phone cases.
Lizard skin and exotic leather are taking the accessories world by storm. Be ahead of the curve with your own bold custom electronics accessory case!